Days Until I Am No Longer A 1L:

Friday, June 03, 2005

Books are your friend.

Hey y'all, how's it been going. Things are great here. I start work on Monday, finally. Things have been getting pretty boring around here, especially because all of my friends have already started working. I've had a weird experience over the past few weeks. I love to read in my free time and was looking forward to the time I had off between finals and work to do some reading that I hadn't had a chance to do during the school year. I went out and bought a bunch of books right after finals were over. I have always been a reader of non-fiction stuff. I tend to pick up books on either politics and current events or military, particularly WWII, history. I have shelves of these books and always have enjoyed reading them. This is where the something funny happened. I started to get a little bored with the book I was reading (Citizen Soldier by Stephen Ambrose). I would pick it up and read a few pages here and there, but I couldn't really get into it like I usually do with books. I figured it was just a factor of my overall boredom that I didn't want to sit around my apartment reading all day. Then a friend of mine said something that really hit me. We were talking about the books we were reading and I mentioned the war book I was reading and she said, "I can't read that stuff, I read to escape reality." It may not seem like much, especially considering we were both pretty drunk at the time, but it really struck me later. I remember sitting in my apartment and looking at my book on the coffee table and thinking to myself, "I do not want to read this at all. It is 600 pages about war and death and suffering, and I know how it turns out in the end." I also was really turned off by the idea of picking up one of my politically themed books and reading another so called pundit piss and moan on and on about how awful the other side is but never say anything worthwhile or suggest a way to make things better. At this point, I was lost because my interest had been so narrow that I had no idea what to read. Thankfully, I had the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine to hold me over. Eventually I got around to asking my friend from above what she suggested I read. She recommended a book called Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I picked it up the other day and I have to admit it is a really good read. It's kinda hard to explain what it is all about without getting too in depth - just summarizing it in a sentence or two doesn't give it justice. The thing I really like about it is how many times it has stopped and made me think. I have about 100 pages to go and now I can't put it down. You should check it out. On that note, I am going to grab some lunch and finish this off.