Days Until I Am No Longer A 1L:

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash

So apparently there was a big ol' security scare in DC today. Despite living about 6 blocks from the evacuated White House, I didn't even hear about this until about 6pm. Oh well. Anyway, apparently two guys flew there Cessna 150 into the prohibited airspace over DC, prompting the evacuation of the aforementioned White House in addition to the Capitol and the Supreme Court. As I pilot myself, I just have this to offer. These guys are freakin' idiots. I learned to fly before 9/11 and even then you just don't fly into this airspace, period. There are plenty of what are called "restricted" areas all over the country. Your best bet is to steer clear of these, but even these can be penetrated in certain circumstances. But the airspace over DC is called "prohibited" and flying in it is just that - prohibited, end of story. I haven't flown around here since I moved here and one of the reasons is the fact that it is such a pain in the ass to deal with the airspace restrictions around here, not to mention the fact that I have no desire to deal with the consequences of an even unintentional violation. These two cats are not going to be flying for a while. Even if the deal today was an accident, it led to the evacuation of some 15,000 people and the launching of 2 Air Force jets and an Army helicopter. Chances are the instructor was building his time to get a job at an airline. I hope he wasn't looking forward to that too much. This makes me wish that my internship at the FAA Chief Counsel office had already started today - this would be fun to talk about at the office.