Days Until I Am No Longer A 1L:

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Friday Spies

This is a deal started by the boys at Begging The Question. Every Friday they post some questions for the rest of us to answer. The fact that I am answering them on Sunday just goes to illustrate how much I procrastinate.

1. Who is an author whose work you've never read, but want to?

I really don't have one of these. I love to read, but usually I read non-fiction. I've never really gotten into the "classic" authors, and I honestly don't really have the desire to do so any time in the near future. I tried reading Hemmingway once just because it was Hemmingway, but I couldn't finish it. I guess it just ins't my style. Plus, it's not like I really have any free time for pleasure reading right now anyway.

2. Can men and women be friends?

This question always sparks debate and I think the answer is different for everybody. For me, the answer is absolutely. One of my very best friends right now is a woman. In fact, I always feel like I have to have one good friend who is a woman. I love hanging with the guys, but, for me at least, there are just some things that I have to talk about with a woman. A lot of guys contend that a guy can never be just friends with a girl without wanting to get her in the sack, but I don't think this is true, at least for me. That's not to say that I have never been attracted to any of my female friends - I mean, I am a guy after all. It's just that for me, getting laid is less important than having a close female friend who I can confide in and from whom I can get the female prospective on things.

3. If you could choose to live in a different time period, would you? If so, when would live and why?

If it were possible to live in the past, I would want to but I wouldn't want to go back too far. I think that being born about 55-60 years earlier would do it for me. This would set me up to be just the right age to fly P-51s in WWII, then after the war be one of the first pilots of the jet age, flying all the new planes during the golden age of test pilots. I'd be punching holes in the sky over the California desert with Yeager, Crossfield, et al. Of course, I also would be one of the first astronauts at NASA and would be one of that elite group of 12 men who have walked on the moon.

That being said, I always say that if I could do it all over again, knowing then what I know now, I wouldn't change a thing. I mean, the above scenario is nothing more than a pipe dream, and even though I've gone through some shitty times in my life, every single thing that has happened to me has led me to this point, and I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything.

4. Have you ever sold anything, bought anything, or processed anything as a career? Have you ever sold anything bought or processed, or bought anything sold or processed, or repaired anything sold, bought,
or processed, as a career?


I could get out of this question by saying that I have never really done anything as a "career", just the odd summer job here and there. I have had some pretty shitty jobs though. I have sold hamburgers, random crap at the Discovery Channel Store, movies and video games and jet fuel. I have had some pretty shitty jobs, but despite the fact that I worked at McDonald's and have seen what goes on, I still eat there.

5. They're going to make a movie about your life. What's the theme song?

This one is a tough one for me. I think about this kind of stuff all the time, but I really don't have a good answer. I don't think of it so much in terms of what the lyrics say as much as just a badass song. It also depends on what kind of mood I am in. There are some lyrics that I think are great, like Pat Green's Here We Go - the line "the Lone Star Beer in my cereal is keeping me alive" is in my opinion the best single line of any song ever. But in terms of a song that really describes me or is a good theme song, I don't know. It would have to me something that embodies my happy-go-lucky-I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude. I guess the best way I can answer this is just by picking one of the songs that I rock out to when I am alone in my apartment. There are always a few songs on my playlist that whenever they come on I crank the volume to 11 and jump around like an idiot. Currently, those songs are "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" by Big and Ricn, "That Was a Crazy Game of Poker" by O.A.R. and the bluegrassey/honky-tonky version of "Gin and Juice" by Phish. See, not so much with lyrics, just more songs to run around all crazy drunk to. (about that last song mentioned, Gin and Juice, I have it on good authority that Hank Williams III has performed that song live, but I can't seem ot find it. Whenever I think I have, it turns out being the Phish version again. If anybody has that or knows where I can find it, it would be greatly appreciated.)